Knowing I'd be in Orlando during the conference, I still signed up to post, knowing I could just schedule and be on my merry conferencing way. I made my salad, shot some photos on my back porch in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and planned to edit later. Well, the shots ended up being blurry, ugly (UGHHHH!) and supremely unusable. Did I mention blurry? I'll spare your eyes because all evidence has been deleted!
I was to leave for Orlando in just a few short hours. What's a girl to do? I packed a fresh English cucumber, fresh dill, some leftover browned butter vinaigrette in a Ziploc bag (3 oz. TSA approved, of course) and a half-pint of fresh blackberries I purchased at Food Lion in my carry-on. I was going to recreate my salad in my room and shoot the salad under the beautiful setting of the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort.
And I did.
Kind of. Ish.
The conference has been action-packed and there was plenty of down time, but the pools, the spa, the restaurants and the gorgeous view from my room pulled me away from thinking about my un-photographed dish. I had to order a knife to be delivered to my room (hello, room service) so I could complete my dish. Was it worth the trouble and this ridiculous adventure? Make this salad and YOU be the judge.
Melanie Makes and Jennie of Messy Baker Blog are kicking off this Summer BBQ party the right way by being gracious, thoughtful co-hosts. Don't forget to check them out and tell them Nik Snacks sent you!
Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette
Makes 4 cups
I looked around my blog and realized I did not have a classic cucumber salad. I don't have many "classic" things on this blog and I wasn't about to start a trend with this. The browned butter vinaigrette is an unexpected, unique showstopper. Try it for your next picnic or outdoor grilling event (AKA barbecue, anywhere except the South)
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
5 Tablespoons fresh blackberry juice
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or salad oil
1 Tablespoon chopped shallot
1/8 teaspoon mustard
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Optional: 4 ounces fresh blackberries cut in half for garnish
Don't forget to visit others sharing Summer BBQ Party recipes through Sunday Supper. You will find something to help you take your next BBQ up a few notches!
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques' Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom's Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby's Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hawaiian BBQ Pork Sandwiches with Pineapple Salsa from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Roasted BBQ Ribs from Feed Me, Seymour
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S'mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S'mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips