Lower Fat/Calorie Alfredo Sauce
3 tablespoons Smart Balance or Promise Buttery Spread
8 fluid ounces fat-free half and half
salt to taste
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 cup Eggbeaters with egg yolk
- Melt buttery spread in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add half and half, stirring constantly.
- Stir in salt, nutmeg, grated Parmesan cheese, and grated Romano cheese.
- Stir constantly until melted, then mix in Eggbeaters.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
I added freshly diced tomatoes and chopped parsley on my plate. Shredded chicken seemed to be popular in the house this morning too.
Apparently, Eggbeaters has a new product out with egg yolk in it. It tastes just like the original. Fettucine noodles, of course, are classic, but egg noodles, penne, orecchiette, (conchglie) shells, or rotini might work well too.
- Nikki @ NikSnacks
- I'm an award-winning private chef who writes and talks about my life as a food writer, culinarian, podcast host, and food tour guide, I'm a classical French trained chef with a BA in English from East Carolina University and a Culinary Arts Associate Degree from Le Cordon Bleu-Miami. I've worked as a researcher, an editorial assistant, reporter and guest blogger, catering chef, pastry chef, butcher, baker, and a biscuit-maker.